Planning a holiday or business travel takes up a lot of time, money and effort. Cancelling it on short notice can be a cause of concern. Not to worry, travel insurance can save you thousands on travel expenses!
At times, you may have to cancel a trip due to unpredictable situations. Apart from going through the disappointment and frustration of missing out on your holiday, there is a way to save the money that you spent for it.
Taking Travel insurance can help you to stay protected against losses due to sudden, partial or complete trip cancellations. Travel insurance policies can cover lost luggage, schedule changes and stolen belongings and for canceled and curtailed trips too.
Let’s take a close look on the general coverage, claim eligibility, policy exclusions as well as the documents required to make a claim.
Travel insurance policies generally cover the transportation and accommodation charges you have already paid in case you had to cancel or cut your trip short due to unavoidable circumstances. However, the coverage is limited to the sum insured & the coverage you choose.
For eligibility to make a claim for your canceled trip, the reasons for your cancellation should be like:
- A close relative’s/colleague’s death or permanent injury.
- Unexpected injury, illness or death of the member with whom you were supposed to travel or stay together.
- Any Legal causes like being called as a witness in court, or as a jury member. This can apply for placement in quarantine for disease too.
- Any natural calamities like fire, flood or destruction of personal property which requires your presence.
No coverage will be given if your trip is cancelled or cut short due to:
- Not to reach the check-in counter on time and missing the flight due to not.
- Any expected reasons or situations that the traveler knew of before booking the tickets.
- Reluctance to go on the trip.
- Any expected strikes or riots which the traveler was aware of before booking the tickets.
- Any personal reasons like car failure or forgetting important documents like visa, passport, etc. leading to missing the flight.
Documents you need for claiming travel insurance include:
- Medical certificates, if the reason for the cancellation is due to illness, injury or death.
- Invoice from Carrier proving the cancellation.
- Original travel tickets.
- Certificate from authorities if there are legal reasons for the cancellation.
Consult Travel Insurance agent in Dubai for your Insurance needs